Energy & Social Infrastructure Division
Constructs a gas and LNG value chain based on an integrated business, which includes everything from LNG procurement to receiving terminals and gas-fired power plants. In the renewable energy business, we are concentrating on solar, wind, and biomass power generation. We are also focusing on developing sophisticated social infrastructure to meet the increasing global demand for data communications and processing.
Strengths of Division
- ●Expertise and relationships with blue-chip customers in the energy sector from integrated LNG business (gas field development, liquefaction, transport, and loading) conducted since the 1970s
- ●Enhanced business aptitude and capabilities regarding Gas-to-Power projects thanks to combining our energy business and power generation business units
- ●Operational know-how and technological expertise acquired through active participation and deep involvement from the construction phase to actual management of the business
- ●Speedy project delivery which leverages business acumen and networks established with government organizations
- ●Trends in energy demand owing to robust economic growth in emerging and developing countries
- ●Increased demand for clean energy due to heightened environmental concerns
- ● Expanded demand for privatization (PPP and PFI) of public services and businesses
- ●Revolutionary changes in business environment due to the advancement of the 5Ds＊
＊ Mainly refers to the 5Ds-Depopulation, Decarbonization, Decentralization, Deregulation and Digitalization
- ●Economic stagnation due to increasing protectionism
- ●Tighter environmental regulations around the globe (e.g. introduction of a carbon tax)
- ●Delays in system development on the assumption of advancing privatization
- ●Shortened business and product lifecycles due to advancements in IT technology
The spread of the COVID-19 pandemic and the sudden changes in the supply and demand balance triggered by the shale gas revolution in the U.S. have made future worldwide energy trends difficult to predict. Despite that, however, the trend towards decarbonization is progressing irreversibly, and the rise in the use of natural gas, LNG and renewable energies is expected to continue.
In response to these changes in the business environment, we are integrating the knowledge that we gained from working with LNG and power generation businesses in order to offer integrated businesses that handle everything from LNG procurement to the construction and management of receiving terminals and power plants in emerging countries in Asia. In the U.S., we are promoting cutting-edge gas-fired power using shale gas with the dual aim of achieving stable power supplies while reducing the burden on the environment. In the field of renewable energy, we are steadily expanding our businesses by applying knowledge gained from working with solar power generation towards on-shore wind power projects in Europe and the U.S., off-shore wind power projects in Taiwan and biomass power projects in Japan.
In the field of telecommunications, improved data transmission and processing-related infrastructure is becoming more and more important due to the increased use of 5G transmissions, AI and IoT in developed countries and rising high-speed communication demands in emerging countries. We manage a large-scale data center in Japan and are aiming to expand our businesses in the field by taking part in a new telecom tower business in Myanmar among other initiatives.
Our mission is to develop sophisticated social infrastructure that promises reliability, safety, and comfort. To fulfill this mission, we will cooperate with excellent partners in Japan and overseas who share our values, contributing to industrialization in different countries around the world.
Mugardos LNG Terminal (Spain)
Birdsboro natural gas-fired power plant (U.S.)
■Gas-fired power generation businesses (Gas to Power)
We are focused on harnessing the knowledge we have gained from developing the Gas-To-Power project in Indonesia to develop new projects in countries that want to convert to alternative fuels, especially emerging countries in Asia. We are also engaged in developing and operating highly efficient gas-fired power plants in response to U.S. demand shifting from coal-fired electricity generation to gas-fired.
■Renewable energy businesses (solar power plants, wind power plants, biomass)
We will make use of the knowledge and experience that we have acquired through our participation in solar power generation business in Japan and overseas; wind power generation business in Europe, the U.S., and Taiwan; and biomass power generation business in Japan, to accelerate our expansion into new power sources and initiatives in regions where we expect further growth.
■Gas-related businesses (LNG receiving terminal,downstream gas businesses)
We will install LNG receiving terminals in countries and regions in which we can anticipate stable, long term LNG demand growth, and we will also participate in downstream gas businesses. Furthermore we plan to expand our business supplying natural gas to industrial end-users in Vietnam, together with our Japanese partners, and accelerate the development of new projects in other emerging countries in Asia.
■Transmission infrastructure businesses (telecom towers, data centers)
By combining the knowledge we have accumulated in the field of information transmission through Nissho Electronics Corporation and our involvement in large-scale data center businesses with our expertise that covers everything from development to management in PPP/PFI schemes, we are accelerating our involvement in communications infrastructure businesses in various countries around the world aimed at satisfying growing data transmission and processing demands. This is exemplified by our participation in a telecom tower business in Myanmar.
- Automotive Division
- Aerospace & Transportation Project Division
- Machinery & Medical Infrastructure Division
- Energy & Social Infrastructure Division
- Metals & Mineral Resources Division
- Chemicals Division
- Foods & Agriculture Business Division
- Retail & Lifestyle Business Division
- Industrial Infrastructure & Urban Development Division