- ・Managing diverse human resources
- ・Empowering women in the workplace
- ・Balancing work with care for family members; empowering employees nearing retirement age; utilizing talent of diverse nationalities; employing persons with disabilities; fostering understanding of LGBT
System to Promote Diversity
The president (CEO) holds chief responsibility for diversity at Sojitz, with diversity topics regularly reported to and discussed by the Management Committee. We have also established a Diversity Management Section within the Corporate Sustainability Office, itself an organization directly managed by a representative director of the company. The Diversity Management Section works with the Human Resources Department and other related organizations to plan, administrate, and promote diversity policies which synergize with work style reforms, health management, and other measures, in order to link the promotion of diversity to long-term, sustainable growth for Sojitz.
Furthermore, in order to accelerate diversity initiatives throughout the company, we have included a category in the “human resource development” section of each organization’s performance evaluation that measures the degree to which an organization has implemented initiatives to transform diversity into a competitive advantage.
The importance of diversity management is communicated in company-wide messages from the president and at training seminars for manager-level employees in order to emphasize how harnessing employees with unique backgrounds and values can drive the organization’s results.
We have also announced a “Sojitz Commitment to IkuBoss” which aims to increase the number of management-level employees who embody diversity management. These managers not only develop, empower, and leverage the diversity of each subordinate, but ensure they themselves maintain physical and mental health to excel in the workplace. We are working to spread understanding of this “IkuBoss” ideal throughout the company.
The Sojitz Commitment to IkuBoss
An IkuBoss at Sojitz understands the diverse values, working styles, and career histories of each subordinate, helping them leverage their unique strengths to create results.
At times, an IkuBoss at Sojitz may entrust subordinates with difficult tasks; at other times, an IkuBoss may play the unsung hero, working behind the scenes. An IkuBoss seeks to create both strong individuals and a strong team.
An IkuBoss at Sojitz strives to achieve work-life management which places due value on both subordinates’ work and personal lives to facilitate a healthy working culture and crate New way, New value.
* The “IkuBoss Corporate Alliance” is a network comprised of companies seeking to develop the next generation of ideal leaders, or “IkuBosses.” These managers are defined as bosses who not only encourage staff and subordinates to pursue professional development alongside their personal lives (work-life balance), but who can take time to enjoy their personal lives themselves while still ensuring the organization produces results. The member companies of the IkuBoss Corporate Alliance understand how necessary IkuBosses are for a healthy workplace, and they are actively working to change management mindsets within their organization.
- The Sojitz Commitment to IkuBoss
Examples of Other Diversity Initiatives：Diversity Management Training
We held Diversity Management Training for managers and general managers in FY2018, on the topic of “Management which Leverages Diversity to Maximize Results.”
“The training reminded me that ’Diversity’ isn’t just some buzzword; it’s an essential part of Sojitz’s business management strategy.”
“I want to communicate more with female staff in order to provide them with more opportunities for assignment overseas, organizational transfers, and new duties, while giving more attention to the timing that’s best for them.”
On November 28, 2019, the founder and representative director of the NPO Fathering Japan, Tetsuya Ando, conducted an IkuBoss training seminar for all 61 general managers at Sojitz. After completing the training, all the general managers affirmed their agreement with the Sojitz Commitment to IkuBoss with their signatures.
IkuBoss training for general managers held on November 28, 2019