Infrastructure & Healthcare Division
By combining Sojitz’s unique functions and ideas, we are providing new solutions and creating value in business areas such as energy, telecommunications, urban infrastructure, and healthcare in response to social issues around the world, including the growing demand for infrastructure and healthcare due to economic growth in emerging countries, climate change, digitalization, and the diversification of values.
Strengths of Division
- ●Create: We aim to create new business platforms by leveraging our human network and improving our business selection acumen, making full use of our speed and mobility.
- ●Connect: We will collaborate both with existing partners in various industries and emerging markets and with new partners arising from the changing business environment in order to combine our unique strengths and enhance our competitiveness.
- ●Nurture: Build deep relationships of trust with all stakeholders across the public and private sectors and foster harmonious coexistence with local communities and the natural environment.
- ●Expand: Consolidate experience and resources through the reorganization of the division, combine various ideas and functions, create new value, and expand our business domains.
- ●Growing demand for infrastructure and healthcare owing to robust economic and population growth in emerging countries
- ●Growing demand for green infrastructure due to heightened global concern for climate change
- ●Expanding opportunities to provide complex solutions to meet diversifying needs and an increasingly decentralized society
- ●Growing opportunities for telecommunications and digital-related businesses in line with the rapid progress of digitalization
- ●Economic recession and changes in the structure of the economy due to increasing protectionism and the ongoing pandemic
- ●A paradigm shift resulting from changes in regulations and polices related to climate change in countries around the world
- ●Country risks associated with slow economic growth in emerging countries and changes in the political, economic, and social environments
- ●Changes in the balance of supply and demand due to intensifying competition, and reduced business competitiveness due to new technologies, etc.
We aim to achieve sustainable growth by creating and expanding businesses that address social issues, focusing on comprehensive infrastructure businesses and healthcare-related businesses in Japan and overseas. To achieve this aim, we have adopted the following three growth strategies.
The first is to develop, implement, and monetize businesses with a sense of scale that leverage our strengths. In the energy infrastructure and healthcare domains where we expect to see growth and stable earnings, we will concentrate our resources by leveraging our accumulated experiences and capabilities to build a solid earnings base.
Second, we will strengthen the profitability and increase the value of existing businesses. We aim to maximize the value of our businesses in terms of both quality and quantity by leveraging our capabilities in financial structuring and other areas—such as by making investments to obtain functions that link our businesses horizontally—and by creating and utilizing new value through digital transformation (DX)
Third, we will expand into new business areas and continue working on areas in which we foresee growth and future potential. In particular, we aim to expand into downstream and service fields in existing business areas, and we will pursue growth and the expansion of our business domains by acquiring new business platforms and making additional investments with a market-in approach. In addition, we will develop comprehensive solution businesses by combining our assets, functions, and services in the fields of energy, telecommunications, social infrastructure, and healthcare. Furthermore, as part of our efforts to address climate change and decarbonization, we will promote businesses related to hydrogen and EVs, and take on business challenges with new ideas that are not restricted to existing business areas.
Our mission is to develop sophisticated social infrastructure that promises reliability, safety, and comfort. To fulfill this mission, we will cooperate to create businesses with our excellent partners in Japan and overseas who share our values, contributing to the development of industry in different countries around the world.
Wind Power Project in Ireland
The Basaksehir Çam & Sakura City Hospital in Turkey
The floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) of the Jawa 1 Gas-to-Power project in Indonesia
The comprehensive urban development Deltamas City in Indonesia
Carbon fiber telecommunication towers manufactured by IsoTruss Inc. (USA)
①Renewable energy businesses (solar power plants, wind power plants, biomass)
By leveraging the knowledge we have gained through the development and operation of solar, onshore/offshore wind, and biomass power generation projects in Japan and overseas, we aim to further expand our business amidst the global shift toward decarbonization. We will proactively promote business development in growth markets and harness demand for renewable energy procurement from companies who have joined the RE100 initiative, as well as other companies.
②Gas-fired power generation businesses (Gas to Power)
We are focused on harnessing the knowledge we have gained from developing the Gas-To-Power project in Indonesia to develop an integrated value chain from LNG procurement and receiving to power generation in countries transitioning to alternative fuels, especially emerging countries in Asia. In addition, we are engaged in developing and operating highly efficient gas-fired power plants in response to U.S. demand shifting from coal-fired electricity generation to gas-fired. We are also working on downstream businesses, such as power distribution and retail, and energy-saving businesses by utilizing the network we have cultivated.
③Gas-related businesses (LNG receiving terminal, downstream gas businesses)
We are developing LNG receiving terminals and natural gas supply businesses in regions in which we anticipate stable, long term growth in LNG demand. In particular, we are focusing on emerging countries where energy demand is rapidly increasing due to economic growth. In addition to promoting a low-carbon society through the supply of natural gas, we will work to achieve decarbonization by optimizing energy usage through the combination of renewable energy and new technologies.
■Telecommunication infrastructure and urban infrastructure
①Transmission infrastructure businesses (telecom towers, data centers)
We will accelerate our efforts in the network infrastructure business, infrastructure sharing, and high-value-added service business, including telecom base stations and optical cable businesses, in order to support the explosive increase in data traffic that will be generated by the introduction of 5G.
②Urban infrastructure and industrial park businesses
We are developing and operating industrial parks in emerging Asian countries that are undergoing remarkable growth and which have strong regional competitiveness. In addition to providing high-quality utility services, we are contributing to the sustainable development of local communities by providing environmentally friendly, high value-added services encompassing DX. In emerging countries, we are also promoting urban infrastructure development projects that contribute to urbanization and growth together with excellent partners. In Deltamas City in Indonesia, we are building a comprehensive urban development with ever-growing value that is well positioned for the future. The city integrates residential, commercial, industrial, administrative, educational, and medical facilities.
The construction and operation of Basaksehir Çam & Sakura City Hospital, which opened in May 2020, is one of the world’s largest hospital PPP management projects with Japanese corporate involvement. We are currently working on participation in other hospital PPP projects and private healthcare businesses, and we will work to accelerate their development. Furthermore, we will invest in the smart healthcare field using new technologies to provide a variety of services that meet new needs such as growing health consciousness and the need for telemedicine.