We aim to create sustainable growth for both Sojitz and society by working to help achieve a decarbonized society through our business activities, and by responding to human rights issues, including those within our supply chains.
In order to continue to "create value and prosperity," as set forth in its corporate statement, given the trends of various countries to set 2050 decarbonization goals for various countries based on the Paris Agreement, and global issues addressed in sustainable development goals (SDGs), we have established this long-term vision . Working to achieve this vision, we will aim to expand our low-carbon businesses over the next 10 years while developing our initiatives to consistently respect human rights.
1.Challenge of Realizing a Decarbonized Society
Sojitz Group, in developing business across a wide range of fields,
- - Conducts business that emits CO2; such as gas-fired power generation which uses fossil materials as fuel including oil, and the trading of raw materials.
- - While striving to expand renewable energy businesses that do not emit CO2, such as plant-based fuel and materials businesses; create and expand low-carbon businesses such as natural gas/LNG and recycling; and to reduce CO2 emissions resulting from our corporate activities; over the next 10 years we will contribute to a low-carbon society, and in the future, a decarbonized society.
Challenge 1 Qualitatively grasp CO2 emission levels
- ・Direct CO2 emissions (Scope 1), indirect CO2 emissions from energy purchased from energy suppliers and other sources (Scope 2)
Set and work to achieve reduction goals for each sector.
- ・CO2 emissions from life cycle of products (Scope 3)
Begin to quantitatively grasp CO2 emissions, and for sectors with high emissions levels, gradually set goals as well as strive to reduce emissions levels.
Challenge 2 Expand businesses that contribute to the realization of low-carbon and decarbonized society
- 1）Renewable Energy Business, Related Businesses
Making clean energy such as renewable energy widely used by 2050 is absolutely essential.
In addition to undertaking the development and supply of renewable energy such as solar power and wind-power generation, Sojitz group will also engage in plant based fuel and raw material businesses to offset CO2 emissions, contributing to the realization of a decarbonized society.
- 2）LNG Value Chain Business
Given the relatively low CO2 emissions levels compared to fossil fuels, natural gas and LNG are expected to become a source of low-carbon energy.
By engaging in not only upstream LNG interest projects, but the creation of an LNG value chain--including midstream projects such as LNG port construction and downstream businesses--Sojitz will undertake both contribution to the realization of a low-carbon society and sustainable growth.
- 4）Electric Vehicle Business
Given the increasing strictness of environmental regulations throughout the world, a technological revolution is underway to create cars that do not emit CO2, such as electric cars in the automobile industry. Sojitz Group will contribute to the widespread use of electric cars by providing raw materials used for manufacturing and by establishing new related businesses.
2.Respect for Human Rights within Supply Chains
Trading companies have supply chains spread across the world, and conduct imports and exports of materials from countries around the globe. Sojitz Group strives to maintain respect for human rights in all countries and regions in which it conducts businesses.
Sojitz Group conducts the following human rights due diligence together with the suppliers that make up its supply chain, striving to realize a society with respect for human rights in supply chains, and to build a sustainable supply chain.
- 1)Promote and expand the range of human rights due diligence in supply chain sectors that emphasize handling human rights
- 2)Achieve 2020 goals set forth in the wood procurement policy as precedents.